Saturday, November 20, 2010

What's in YOUR Storage?

Okay, here's an exercise for you. Right now, tell me 3 meals you could make from your food storage. Ready, set, GO!!!

*crickets chirping*

Is it that hard? If you're like most of us, yes, it's that hard! The "traditional" method of emergency food storage involved storing the following items: Wheat, Beans, Rice, Oats, Powdered Milk, and Sugar. Then you would try to supplement that storage with canned vegetables and basic baking items like baking powder and yeast. At times, I've had thousands of pounds of food storage, but I still couldn't really EAT anything.

That's one more thing I love about THRIVE. I no longer think about storing individual commodities. I think about storing MEALS. With all the foods available through THRIVE, I can have breakfast, lunch, snacks, and even desserts in my storage! I can easily make breakfast burritos or omelettes, spaghetti, beef stroganoff, and all sorts of breads and muffins. I can make blueberry pancakes in the middle of winter, or a peach-berry smoothie in April. I can make tacos, soups, casseroles- just about anything you can think of, you can make with THRIVE. How exciting is that?!

If you're going to spend the time, thought, and money on storing food for your family, make sure you can actually EAT it. This is especially important if you have kids, because believe it or not in an emergency situation, kids WILL choose not to eat instead of eating the same thing over and over. Plus, storing a variety of foods ensures that you will have the nutrition you need to remain healthy. We'll cover the emotional stresses of emergencies another time, but you'll definitely feel more comfortable if you have a variety of foods at your disposal.

No comments:

Post a Comment